Pitman Arm removal

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Jwlman

Pitman Arm removal

Post by Jwlman »

Any good tips on this? I just broke the autozone lend-a-tool puller in half trying to get mine off.
Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

been there broke that. get another puller, crank it on there so tight that it's just about to break in half again, then beat the shit out of the arm with a big hammer to try and pop it loose.
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

try this:

soak the pitman arm/steering box shaft in PB blaster for a couple days before you even put the puller on it. one evening, put the puller on it, tighten it down and give the pitman arm a couple whacks with a small hammer (swing perpendicular to the arm, where the steering box shaft goes into the pitman arm). tighten down the puller again and let it sit over night.

next day, give the pitman arm a couple more good whacks, and tighten the puller down a little more.

lather, rinse, repeat... eventually it'll just fall right off.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

i have always had good results with getting the puller on there as tight as you can with a 24" breaker bar, then smacking the shit out of the puller stud (inline with the sector shaft) with a BFH.

tighten puller
beat your shaft
tighten the puller
beat your shaft some more

repeat until it can take no more beating and just pops off into your hand

that process sounds vaugely sexual :hehe:
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Cut the pitman arm off with a bandsaw. Just run the blade parrallel to the splines and just a nats ass away from them. Then take a chisel and knock out the remaining material. Then just tap the thing off with a regular hammer.

Oh, you need to reuse the pitman arm? Sorry. The above method works great though. I got the pitman arm off my rusted ass '86 steering box that way. I doubt it had been off in 20 years.

Good luck.
Jwlman

Post by Jwlman »

Arya Ebrahimi wrote:Cut the pitman arm off with a bandsaw. Just run the blade parrallel to the splines and just a nats ass away from them. Then take a chisel and knock out the remaining material. Then just tap the thing off with a regular hammer.

Oh, you need to reuse the pitman arm? Sorry. The above method works great though. I got the pitman arm off my rusted ass '86 steering box that way. I doubt it had been off in 20 years.

Good luck.
I don't need to reuse it, I have a dropped one going on, I actually already cut as much of a slot as I could with an angle gringer right before I broke the puller, guess I need to make it deeper. Right now it is soaking in pb blaster and I am gonna go get another puller tomorrow
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Once I was done, you could actually see 3 of the splines before the arm came off.

I wish I had taken pictures before I reassembled it all.
Leach

Post by Leach »

CODY, you finally used sector shaft in relation to the actual part. CONGRATS. And remember, the other things are just steering shafts.
member # dos
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Leach wrote:CODY, you finally used sector shaft in relation to the actual part. CONGRATS. And remember, the other things are just steering shafts.
blah blah blah ... my name is leach, i am awesome, i kill skunks with a bow.

yeah yeah, rub it in ;)
tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

actually, leach has yet to kill a skunk with a bow. :flipoff2:

we just went over this last night at macadoos
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"
Username

Post by Username »

Carquest sells a hefty puller. You won't break it.
Dred

Post by Dred »

Yeah, buy a puller from Snap On or Mac Tools. Then put in on there and use an impact wrench. I've gone through a bunch of cheap ones before I got a good one.
Original member since 1999
Jwlman

Post by Jwlman »

I finally got it. Had to gouge out more of the arm with my angle grinder till it finally broke loose.
Leach

Post by Leach »

The arrow was covered in blood and pieces of flesh, skunk didnt make it far into the woods. And my feet were getting wet and cold as I didnt have time to get fully dressed after hearing Miller run back up the stairs and yell skunk.
member # dos
Leach

Post by Leach »

Congrats on getting the arm off, now finish that shit and get it down here. You have less than a week.

Better be here mofo.

Leach
member # dos